High School Sailing Season Registration Forms
If you are interested in participating:
- Print, complete and sign HS Registration Forms (enclosures 1-4).
- Pay by PayPal. Use firstname.lastname@example.org when paying. Or use this link…
- Submit registration forms (enclosures 1 – 4) before the first practice. Completed and signed forms may be mailed or scanned and emailed to email@example.com. All forms must be completed before a sailor maybe allowed on the water.
- High school sailing fees are per season. This includes all season and membership fees. Participants must be members of the Sailing Center Chesapeake for insurance purposes.
- Personalized pinnies are available for purchase. Pinnies are required for regattas. We have very few available to loan out for regattas.
- All fees are due at the time of registration. A sailor will not be allowed on the water until payment is received
1. Weekly practice, three sessions, hosted by SCC:
- Practice will be held after school Monday, Wednesday and Fridays.
- Most sessions will be conducted at the Sailing Center Chesapeake at Tall Timbers Marina.
- Team work days for spring scheduled Feb 28 and March 2
2. Competition in high school interscholastic events / regattas sanctioned by the Maryland DC Interscholastic Sailing Association (MDISA).
- Students from Leonardtown, Great Mills, Chopticon and home high schools in Southern Maryland participate in high school sailing at the Sailing Center Chesapeake.
- Local middle school students may participate in practice sessions to develop their skills. Occasionally 8th grade students have the opportunity to compete in junior varsity events; however, high school students have first priority. We encourage middle school student participation!
- Each season SCC hosts several competitive events on weekend days hosting up to 18 schools.
3. Coaching will be overseen by SCC High School Coordinators and US Sailing certified instructors. Mostly volunteer staff operate SCC.
- A type 3 PFD (personal floatation device) must be worn at all times while on the water. This includes the dock.
- Shoes or dinghy boots must be worn at all times. Water shoes are best.
- Dry or wet suit required whenever air + water temperatures is below 120º or the water temperature is below 60º.
- Sailing gloves are recommended, especially in cold weather.
- Helmets are optional. Concussions have occurred at practice and regattas.
- Sailors will need to provide their own drinks, sunscreen, PFDs, wet or dry suits, sailing boots,helmets and gloves.
REGATTA PARTICIPANT SELECTION
Not every sailor is able to attend each regatta. Sailing is a unique sport in that only a small number of team members can participate in a single regatta. For each regatta, the expected traveling team size will be 2 skippers and between 2 and 4 crew ( for a 2- division fleet regatta)
Sailors are selected to attend regattas based on type of regatta, skill, attitude, availability, attendance at practices, and competitive conditions (weight, etc). This makes it difficult to plan beforehand.
The responsibility for travel arrangements to regattas lies with the sailors and the sailor’s parents.
Potluck dinners are held during the season. Parents and siblings are encouraged to attend. Useful information about the high school sailing program and interscholastic sailing competition is always part of these events. A potluck awards dinner is held at the end of the season. See the online calendar for dates, times, and locations.
Parent involvement is crucial to the success of our high school teams. We will need parental help in the areas of fundraising for new equipment, and support at our home regattas and at practices. Parent volunteers are needed at practices for various duties.
Here are some links to useful web sites:
Racing a Flying Junior: http://www.iowasailing.org/resources/skills/racing-basics
High School Sailing: http://hssailing.org/documents/procedural_rules17-20.pdf
Our district, Mid-Atlantic Scholastic Sailing Association: massasailing.org
Our national authority, Interscholastic Saiiling Association: hssailing.org
College Sailing: collegesailing.org