Registration for 2018 Summer Sailing
REGISTRATION FOR 2018 IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE
The Sailing Center Chesapeake is located at Tall Timbers Marina in Tall Timbers, MD. The sailing center is situated on land between Herring Creek and the Potomac River. Most sailing in done in Herring Creek which provides excellent sailing conditions while also being in protected water. We also have the option of sailing in the Potomac River when winds and sailing conditions are more favorable there. This location provides excellent sailing opportunities regardless of the weather!
- The Sailing Center Chesapeake fleet consists of 18 Club FJ’s (no spinnaker or trapeze), 4 zodiacs safety boats, Hunter 170 and various kayaks, canoes, and stand-up paddle boards.
- Student sailors are always under the supervision of a US Sailing Small Boat Level One certified sailing instructor.
Sailing Sessions offered:
June 18-22, July 16-20, August 6-10
For ages 12 and up only. Open to all current SCC sailors and new sailors.
Teens will learn the joys of sailing in a fun and engaging environment. They will learn safety on the water, basic sailing and seamanship skills and rules of the water in a hands on environment. They will learn sailing terminology and boat handling skills. They will have the opportunity to crew a sailboat as well as be the skipper of their own boat. Instruction will be held on and off the water daily. Sailors will be introduced to sailboat racing. No previous sailing experience necessary. The instructor will tailor the session to the skill level of the students. For anyone thinking about joining the high school sailing team, this session is for you!
- How to rig a FJ
- Rules of the road on the water
- How to right a capsized sailboat
- Water safety
- Knots used in sailing
- Basic sailboat maneuvering
- Basic sailboat racing
- How to skipper a boat
- How to crew a boat
- Understanding Wind
- Understanding Current
- Expanding on boat handling skills
- Strategies and tactics in sailboat racing
Monday and Wednesday evening races will occur during these weeks.
- A Type 3 PFD (personal floatation device) must be worn at all times while on the water. This includes the dock.
- Shoes or dinghy boots must be worn at all times. Water shoes are best.
- Dry or wet suit required whenever air + water temperature is below 120° or the water temperature is below 60°.
- Sailing gloves are recommended, especially in cold weather.
- Sailors will need to provide their own drinks, sunscreen, PFDs, wet or dry suits, sailing boots, and gloves.
- Bring a packed lunch.
- Bring your own bug spray.
Print, complete and sign Summer Sailing Registration Forms (enclosures 1-4).
Pay by PayPal. Use email@example.com when paying. Or use this link…
Sign up for one, two, or three weeks for one low price of $260. Please indicate what weeks your sailor would be attending. Participants must be members of the Sailing Center Chesapeake for insurance purposes.